Go Fish!
I've been doing on on-line journal for Gramophone magazine for a while now. You can check it out at http://www.gramophone.co.uk/interviews_detail.asp?id=2580.
My Gramophone blog is mostly about classical music and it's great fun to do, but not the place where I can express my feelings about reading things like this in the NEW YORK TIMES (November 3):
Dire Warning on Fish Species
If fishing around the world continues at its present pace, more species will vanish, marine ecosystems will unravel and there will be "global collapse" of all species currently fished, fisheries experts and ecologists are predicting.
Global collapse? Ouch. That hurts.
That's why I started this blog. I actually started one at My Space but with all those ads on that site flashing in my face I was getting dizzy. So I'm starting fresh here. It's not that I'm a particularly pessimistic person (I'm actually a very cheerful guy), or that I want to revel in the fact that the world as we know it just might be coming to an end (heck, will we still call it a civilization after we've run out of drinkable water, energy and fish, just to name three fun examples). Honestly, with this blog I'm hoping to do my small part in reminding people to wake up and pay more attention to each other and the world around them.
Back to the fish. I immediately went to page A21 of the TIMES to see just how far off this "no more fish" calamity was from us. Not encouraging. Math was never my strong suit, but according to the illustrative chart, it looks like those slippery, scaly pals of ours will be checking out before 2050. Okay, I'll be 90 at that point and since I'm not having kids I won't have to be sad that MY children and grandchildren will never know the joy of a basic tuna fish sandwich. But I do have two beautiful young nieces whom I adore, and lots of friends with kids, and I certainly want them to get a shot at experiencing the whole fish thing.
The irony in all this is that in America, where we are told (and sold) obsessively to care about our health, eating more fish is one of the no-brainers on our collective to do list. So if I eat lots of salmon am I just eating healthy or helping to commit fish genocide? Or is it fishocide - or perhaps pescacide? Looks like I should have studied Latin after all!
Stay tuned to this blog for more of such observations. But I promise to lighten up and have some fun too. After all, tragedy and comedy are clearly two sides of the same human coin!
My Gramophone blog is mostly about classical music and it's great fun to do, but not the place where I can express my feelings about reading things like this in the NEW YORK TIMES (November 3):
Dire Warning on Fish Species
If fishing around the world continues at its present pace, more species will vanish, marine ecosystems will unravel and there will be "global collapse" of all species currently fished, fisheries experts and ecologists are predicting.
Global collapse? Ouch. That hurts.
That's why I started this blog. I actually started one at My Space but with all those ads on that site flashing in my face I was getting dizzy. So I'm starting fresh here. It's not that I'm a particularly pessimistic person (I'm actually a very cheerful guy), or that I want to revel in the fact that the world as we know it just might be coming to an end (heck, will we still call it a civilization after we've run out of drinkable water, energy and fish, just to name three fun examples). Honestly, with this blog I'm hoping to do my small part in reminding people to wake up and pay more attention to each other and the world around them.
Back to the fish. I immediately went to page A21 of the TIMES to see just how far off this "no more fish" calamity was from us. Not encouraging. Math was never my strong suit, but according to the illustrative chart, it looks like those slippery, scaly pals of ours will be checking out before 2050. Okay, I'll be 90 at that point and since I'm not having kids I won't have to be sad that MY children and grandchildren will never know the joy of a basic tuna fish sandwich. But I do have two beautiful young nieces whom I adore, and lots of friends with kids, and I certainly want them to get a shot at experiencing the whole fish thing.
The irony in all this is that in America, where we are told (and sold) obsessively to care about our health, eating more fish is one of the no-brainers on our collective to do list. So if I eat lots of salmon am I just eating healthy or helping to commit fish genocide? Or is it fishocide - or perhaps pescacide? Looks like I should have studied Latin after all!
Stay tuned to this blog for more of such observations. But I promise to lighten up and have some fun too. After all, tragedy and comedy are clearly two sides of the same human coin!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home